Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Bike and The Half Marathon

I continued to run and continued my non-drowning/swim sessions. After a few weeks, I began to become more proficient in the pool and could complete several laps before having to stop to catch my breath.
It was November of 2004 and I had one more piece of the triathlon puzzle to add, a bike. I'd returned to the local bike shop a few times since my initial visit and I'd decided on a bike which was within my budget. The bike shop did not have my size in this particular bike and had to order it. A few weeks later, the bike arrived. Adjustments were made to the bike to fit my measurements. I picked out a helmet and shorts and all of the other stuff I needed. About an hour after arriving, I pushed my bike out the door of the bike shop. My wallet was lighter, but I now had all the pieces I'd need to train for the triathlon.
That first ride was awesome. I only traveled about six miles, but enjoyed every one. I continued riding 3 times each week and was covering 40 to 50 miles per week in no time. I soon had clipless pedals installed on my bike. This presented a new skill for me to learn, but I was up for the challenge. The mechanic at the bike shop told me, “It’s not a matter of if you’ll fall, but when you’ll fall while learning to use clipless pedals”. Not me I thought. This’ll be a piece of cake. Wrong! I drove to the place from which I started my rides. I parked and unloaded my bike, attached the front wheel, put on my new bike shoes and mounted the bike. While holding onto my vehicle, I clipped-in, then let go to begin riding. I failed to give myself enough of a push-off, and though I tried, I could not stop the bike from falling over. I assured the other person nearby that I was ok. It took me a few moments to extract myself from the bike, but I finally freed myself and was ready to try again. This time, I gave a healthy push and was able to begin without tumbling. I was soon accustomed the new pedals.

It was now early Spring of 2005 and I had decided to compete in my first half marathon. I’d been increasing my run mileage and felt good about being able to “finish” the event. I began the event hoping to finish in under two hours. I finished in 1:59:33, however, I later found out the course had been changed at the last minute, adding four tenths of a mile to the course. Nevertheless, I accomplished my goal and had a great time in the process. Next up was the sprint triathlon. The race was in August, so I’d have ample time to get ready for the race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home