Friday, December 01, 2006

Consistency

I’ve taken my break (a couple months ago), eased back into things for a few weeks and have gotten back to my basic week. I’ve been back doing all three disciplines three times per week for about a month. I’ve stayed focused on keeping the intensity down and have stayed under my maximum aerobic heart rate cap during EVERY session. I’ve missed one workout (a short weekday ride) during the last month. I’ve been very consistent with my training. I’ve focused on good nutrition, even during Thanksgiving, and have actually dropped a couple of pounds. Right about now is where I usually %$#@ things up. I’m beginning to feel fit again and am VERY tempted to do some BIG workouts, just for the fun of it…a very long ride, a race simulation, an all out time trial, or some other totally unneeded workout. These workouts are useful…at the right time of the year…but this isn’t it. Last year, I was feeling the same and did a half Ironman race sim on Christmas Eve…in cold rainy conditions. A few weeks later I was sick and missed several workouts. That one big day of training probably set me back at least three weeks.

So, along with continuing the low heart rate / low intensity training and keeping an eye on my nutrition, my focus during the next several weeks will be on not doing anything out of the ordinary. Just keep pluggin away at my normal sessions and stay consistent. The only thing I'll possibly add will be a couple more strength sessions.

I’ve come to believe that progress in this sport (especially for someone like me with a limited athletic background) is not achieved by doing monster workouts. It’s best achieved through showing up every day for every workout, week after week, month after month….and then pushing things a bit at the correct times of the year.
But it sure is fun to do the monster workouts!

Maybe I’ll clean out the attic or some other domestic activity while I’m off work during Christmas instead of hammering myself on the road or in the pool.

I’d like to hear if there are others out there who struggle to keep things moderate during their base phase.

TJ

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me among the impatient! I've just started my rest period after a late season marathon and already am itching to train! It really is an addiction...

9:39 AM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

I TOTALLY have a hard time staying slow and easy during base! It's so tempting just to hammer every once in a while...but you're right, a time and place for everything.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home