Sunday, October 21, 2007

2 Weeks To Go

I got things rolling again with training last week after being down for the count for a few days with a nasty head/chest cold. I finished out the week with a swim/bike/run brick (30min/1.5hrs/1hr) Friday and a 5 hour ride (85.5 miles) yesterday. The brick went well…but I can’t say the same for the ride. It was windy. A headwind in every freakin direction. No relief to be found. I averaged 17 and had to work hard for that. I was pretty tired when I got back home. Not the most confidence building session…but I got it done.
The schedule for this week is fairly moderate with nothing over a couple of hours.

I’m starting to get my stuff organized for the race. I’ve got several piles going. Each one has a label… “swim” or “run special needs” or “bike” etc. The hard part is deciding what to put in the special needs bags. I think the main thing will be some warm clothes and dry socks in each, maybe an extra C02 and tube for the bike, and a Mountain Dew for the run. And whatever else I come up with.

Friday I bought new batteries for everything (Watch/HR monitor, chest strap, bike computer, bike computer transmitter, camera). 55 bucks worth. It’ll be worth it though to have it all work on race day. I think I’ve talked myself into new tires for the bike also. They’ve got a couple thousand miles on them and the rear tire is looking a bit worn. I’m going to go by the bike shop in the morning and get the wrench’s opinion. I trust his judgment.

The nerves are starting to kick in a bit also. The race has been this far off thing that I’ve been working towards for so long….and now it’s less than two weeks away! Every now and then reality hits and I think “O Shiznit, I’m going to do an Ironman in a few days”.
Hopefully that pre-race calm I’ve heard everybody talk about will kick in any day now.



RC’s pathology report came back and the news was good. The cancer had not gone into the lining of his bladder. He’ll go in for another surgery on November 17th to have the remaining tumors removed and then receive treatments for a while after the surgery.
Thanks for all your prayers!



Happy Training!!!
TJ

4 Comments:

Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

I'm getting excited for you!

I would recommend making lists.

Swim list, bike list, run list, bike needs list, run list, and morning of list.

Then make a total list combining everything.

It helped me to pack everything, then to pack the specific bags before turn in.

Read through a couple of IM race reports for some extra tips.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

It sounds like you are prepared in absolutely every area and are ready to roll. Good luck - you will rock.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Man, you are going to be cool as a cucumber for the race! This I believe :-) My arrangements for my 12 year old have fallen through, so our trip is in jeopardy. Still trying to work things out. If I do make it, I will be in both transitions.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

I can't imagine how you must feel right now...all I can say is that I have no doubts that you are going to do awesome!

Glad things are looking up for RC!

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home