Saturday, October 13, 2007

What goes up…must come down

Last week ended on a pretty high note. I had a great 5k race and got my first ever age group win. I was feeling good about my fitness and all things endurance. I had a good day off Sunday (although I was a bit more tired than I should have been) and was looking forward to my long run on Monday. Monday came and I was still very tired. Last week was a recovery week and I couldn’t figure out why I was feeling so drained. I left work Monday afternoon and was still dragging. I headed out for my long run and felt ok for the first 20 minutes, but after that, it was downhill to the end. I ended up with 14 miles at a pace of about 10:30, which was actually better than I expected. I was crazy thirsty afterwards and drank a ton of water and Gatorade. I had dinner soon after getting home and went right off to bed. I woke up about 3:30am Tuesday morning and it felt like my throat was on fire. *&^%!!!!! DJ, and a couple of people at work have had colds lately. I’d been washing my hands like crazy, but apparently it wasn’t enough to keep the germs away.

I made it through my 5 mile run Tuesday afternoon, but felt like crap afterwards…. and haven’t trained since. The sore throat is gone, but congestion has picked up where it left off. My energy has returned a little, so hopefully I’ll be able to get things going again by Monday.

Race day is three weeks away, but I’m actually not panicking. I’ve done the work. I don’t think I could add much more fitness in the next three weeks. And even if I miss an entire week of training to this cold, it may end up doing me some good in the end by letting me rest a bit more. At least that’s what I keep telling myself....

One good thing about not being out training today is I’ll get to watch the Norman/Macca smackdown at Ironman Hawaii later today.


Happy Training,
TJ

8 Comments:

Blogger Tea said...

VERY fun to watch.

(Nice job on the AG award.)

3:59 PM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

Put your feet up, homey. Rest.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Yes, get 100%! Wasn't much of a smack down, was it :-)

12:37 PM  
Blogger RunToTheFinish said...

As I've finally started to learn, sometimes rest is the best training.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yep, don't let the illness get you down. Better now than later. Take care of yourself and ride it out. Your race is sooo close now!

9:22 AM  
Blogger jen said...

You're right, the training is done, at this point recovery is the focus. Sounds like your body demanded some real rest. Hope you feel better soon. :)

4:46 PM  
Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Age group win!!!
Fantastic!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

I'm not an Ironman or anything, but I'd think you'll be better off for the rest. You've done the training, you just need to get healthy for the race.

Looking forward to cheering you on!! Michele and I are down for bodymarking and peeling - we'll look for you.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home