Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Week Recap

The weather here has been absolutely perfect lately for training. Highs in the upper 80s, lows in the lower 60s. It’s been a very welcome departure from the triple digit high humidity slogfest we had during July and August.

I finished up the week with a bit over 14 hours of training with a long swim of 3k, a long bike of 105 miles and a long run of 11.5 miles. I kept my pace down on the swim and finished feeling fresh…which is what I’m hoping to do on race day. The long ride was an organized century ride with my local bike club. I’ve always done this ride in a group with my roadie friends, but I decided to go solo (zero drafting) this year. I went out a bit too hard during the first 20 or so miles, but came to my senses and got things back in check pretty quickly. The winds kicked up at about mile 30 and continued for the next 30 miles. This happened to be the hilliest portion of the course also. The last 45 miles went pretty well and I finished strong. I’d brought as much hydration and nutrition with me as I could carry and only had to stop once to refuel and once for a porta-potty break. My total non-riding time was less than four minutes. I finished in 6:00:56 with an average pace of 17.4mph. The long run for the week happened to fall on the one hot day of the week, but I managed a pace of 10:43 and finished feeling pretty good.

The long workouts continue this week with another 3k+ swim, another 100 mile ride and a 15 mile run. I’ve also got a swim bike run brick Friday. I’m feeling great (better than I have all summer) and am looking forward to the remainder of the build up.

Happy Training!
TJ

6 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Talked to the Rents last night and I am squared away for November 3... You got more cheering people coming to see ya. Haven't heard anything from the race yet about volunteering. I'm assuming they don't need me. We'll see. Did you ride to Florida and back on that 100 miler? LOL. You rocked that bike ride, dude! Way to go!!!

9:57 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

cool! i'll need all the cheering i can get. :)

8:46 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Nice workouts! You are very strong on the bike, wow. Keep it up TJ!! :)

6:30 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Things are sounding good. Carry on!

8:47 AM  
Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

You are so ready!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

Getting those miles up there!!!

I would suggest doing some runs after those long bikes...at least an hour.

You'll be Iron before you know it.

email or call me if you need anything or have any questions.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home