Sunday, September 23, 2007

Another Week Done

Another big week is in the bank.
Monday started out with a 15.2 mile run. I’d expected my legs to be a bit tired from the 100 miler Saturday, but I felt great the entire run. This run was actually the best long run I’ve had in weeks. 2:30:11 at an average heart rate of 152.
Tuesday was a fairly easy day with only one workout, an hour on the trainer.
Wednesday I was in the pool for 3k in the morning and on the bike for 2 hours in the afternoon.
Thursday was a fairly easy day with only a 5.6 mile run.
Friday was another swim-bike-run brick. I started out about 6am with a 3k swim. It was misting rain when I got to the Y to swim. The forecast had called for rain, but I’d hoped the skies would clear long enough for me to get my bike and run finished. When I walked out of the Y after my swim, the mist had turned into a downpour. I headed home and got on the trainer for 2 boring hours. The rain was still coming down when I got off the trainer, so I jumped on the treadmill for my 45 minute run. I finished up the run, had some breakfast and took it easy the remainder of the day.
Saturday’s forecast only looked slightly better than Friday’s. As I headed out Saturday morning for the planned 6 hours, I was almost certain I’d get drenched at some point of the ride. About 10 minutes into the ride the sun came up and I could see deep clear blue in most of the sky. Then about 45 minutes later the sun was gone and the clear blue was replaced with dark gray threatening clouds. This continued for the next 6 hours…but with no rain! However…..the wind blew quite a bit….somehow always in my face…which made the going a bit tough at times. But I was glad to not get soaked. Friday night I’d taken my truck (loaded with gels, Gatorade and water) and parked it at a convenience store out on the route I’d planned to ride. My ride ended perfectly right back at the store. 103.62 miles, 6:00:20, 17.2mph avg, 150 avg heart rate. I loaded up my bike and made the 15 minute drive back home. I opted for the treadmill for my 20 minute run.

Today is my rest day and I'm going to take full advantage of it.
I closed out the week with just under 18 hours of training…my biggest ever.
6 weeks til race day…….

On a personal note, my Step-Dad found out a couple weeks ago that he has bladder cancer. It’s a direct result of exposure to Agent Orange during his service time in Vietnam. All tests show the cancer is contained in the bladder and hasn’t spread to any other parts of his body. The doctors say it is very treatable and may not require anything beyond surgery. The surgery is to take place October 3.
Please keep RC in your thoughts and prayers.


Happy Training,
TJ

10 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Man! I can't even imagine 100 mile rides. You so ROCK, dude :-) Sorry to hear about your alternate dad... He has my full confidence (as well as thoughts and prayers) on kicking this things ass...

9:12 PM  
Blogger RunToTheFinish said...

Really sorry about your Step-Dad, thank goodness he's got someone with your strength of mind around!

Seriously, what a great training week and you sound so nochalant about it!

12:45 PM  
Blogger DV said...

big numbers tj!

sorry about the diagnosis; your family is in my prayers...

2:12 PM  
Blogger jen said...

First, my thoughts and prayers are with RC and your whole family. What a sad thing that he got sick from serving our country. I wish him strength and a speedy recovery. :) Keep us updated!

Great job on all that training, wow. You are handling these big weeks well! Sounds like your workouts are great, but are you tired or sore during everyday activities? Do you sleep a lot more? Eat a crazy amount? I'm just curious. No matter what, you are super human. :) Keep it up!!

6:53 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

Jen - There isn't any soreness. A little more tiredness than normal. And CRAZY hungry. As far as sleep, I'm sleeping about the same as normal. I'll grab a nap in the afternoons on the weekends, but that's about it.
Thanks for the good wishes for RC.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Gotta Run..... said...

Way to tackle a HEAVY week of training. Sounds like your mental focus is locked in!!

Prayers will go up for your step-dad. The powers of medicine. What a wonderful thing!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

You count on the prayers from here, TJ. Let us know how it goes.

What an awesome training week! That's some major workouts - you are going to rock IMFL!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

Ugh cancer. Sorry to hear about that, although it sounds like they found it early enough. My thoughts to your stepfather. So much cancer in my life these days. :(

6:19 PM  
Blogger Iron Girl Nyhus said...

Great training week! Ironman FL here we come!

Laura

11:26 AM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

Dude. I hate cancer. Praying for that guy.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home