Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Offseason update

Things are rocking along pretty well down here in the desert Southeast. The weather here is crazy for this time of year. Highs in the 80s most days…with no rain…and none in sight. I think Santa will be cruising down Santa Claus lane in shorts and a T-shirt this year.

I’m sticking to my one-short-easy-session-per-day plan fairly well. I’m planning to get to the gym next week and start back up with a strength program. And I’ll be trying to get back to some basic core work sometime this week.

The IT band is still sore. I’ll most likely end up at my ortho doc for another shot of cortisone. I had the exact same condition in my right IT band in 06 and the cortisone shot did the trick then. We’ll see…

I haven’t done so well with cutting back on my diet. Going from burning a bazillion calories per day to not burning many at all…without adjusting my diet…has resulted in an 8 lb weight gain in 6 weeks. This is the worst time of the year for me diet-wise. Seems someone is bringing in some awesome desert or finger food to work every day. As a matter of fact, today’s awesome item was this. It rocked! I’ve pretty much thrown in the towel on losing weight until after Christmas.

I’m still working on ironing out my race schedule for next year. I’m thinking of maybe doing the Rock N Rollman half iron up in Macon on May 31. I’ve never done this race and have always wanted to give it a go. I really wanted to go back and do Gulf Coast again, but DJ can’t get away that week, so it doesn’t look like it’s going to work out this year. It’s one of my favorite races, so maybe I can rope some of my buds into going with me. I haven’t totally ruled it out yet.

Happy Training,
TJ

6 Comments:

Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Hope the shot helps the IT band. I'm sure as soon as you start training again, the pounds will melt off. So rave on about that cake. You know you want one all to yourself :-)

7:40 AM  
Blogger Wes said...

Hang in there! Winter is on its way :-) Besides, it doesn't officially start for another week! I had a friend do the Half Iron in Macon. Besides being a little hot, I think he enjoyed it alot!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck with your training. I'm planing on doing the Macon Half Iron Man as well. It will be my first Half IM.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

you keep mentioning this nice weather and I'm going to beam you with a snowball!

you are a lucky ducky having nice weather, brother.

check out the blog and throw me some TJ wisdom.

9:38 AM  
Blogger TriDaddy said...

Ditto on the weather from up here in NC, though it did drop into the high 40's this week. I heard the Rock N Rollman has plenty of hills. It's a potential race for me next year. Still ironing out my schedule as well! Congrats on your finish at IM Florida!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Judi said...

Medical massage helps my IT band. And a foam roller. I had to stop running for 25 days and talk about a weight gain! :(

Hope you get back to training soon. I know I cannot wait until the damn holidays are over!

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home