Thursday, June 22, 2006

STRENGTH


I've been at this endurance thing for almost two years now. The whole time I've read articles and heard coaches speak on the value of strength training. "Pfff!!! I've got a family, I work 50 hours per week, I've barely got time to get in my swim, bike and run. Strength work is out of the question", was usually my response/thought.

That was before the lifeguard overslept last Friday.
There I was at the Y, no lifeguard, unable to do my planned swim, not wanting to drive back home, needing something to fill the hour that I would have been in the pool.

Other than when I toured the facility when I first joined the Y, I've never been in the weight room. I didn't even remember where it was. Standing there in the locker room with an hour to fill, I decided I'd hunt down the weight room. I'd at least know where it was if I ever did find the time to fit in a strength workout. Well, that killed a whole 5 minutes. There I was, standing in a very well equipped weight room with 55 more minutes to kill. "What the heck, I'll just do a few reps on a couple of the machines". Before I knew it, the 55 minutes were up and I'd done a full body workout. "That wasn't so bad" I thought. Maybe I'll do it more often.

The two free mornings (Tuesday and Thursday) I had to sleep an extra hour are now going to be spent in the weight room. I'm 3 for 3 so far. I'm not betting on looking like the Governator any time soon, but a little extra power to get up the hills will be nice.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

The "governator" ... brilliant. He's a bit much if you ask me though - there's such a thing as "too much" of a good thing, so don't kill yourself. You look just about right as is :)

Kudos to you for hitting the weights on those two days, and for not bailing on the workout even though you couldn't do your swim, too!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home