Saturday, June 30, 2007

A Bit Off

Have you ever had one of those days when you just weren’t “into” the workout ahead? I had one today. I just wasn’t looking forward to the long ride ahead. On top of being a bit off my game mentally, I woke up late. I’d set my alarm for 5:00 am….only thing is, I set it for PM. Dooooh! Luckily I woke up 5:17. No problem…my breakfast would just have a little less time to sink in. 6:15am rolled around and it was time to get suited up to go. I pulled on my shorts and immediately something didn’t feel right. I looked down and the shorts were inside out. Dude…where’s your head? Get it together! Quick turn around and I was good to go.

I headed out at 6:30am. 10 minutes from home, I looked down at my heart rate monitor and saw two dots where my heart rate should appear….the dots that mean no signal from the chest strap...which means dead battery. You’ve got to be kidding me! I made a quick turn-around in the parking lot of the Moose Lodge and headed back home to change the battery.

At this point, I considered calling it a day….thinking maybe there was a reason I wasn’t jazzed about this ride. But I changed the battery and headed back out…. wondering what would be next. However, the next four hours went by without any further delays….other than a few nature breaks. I ended up with 70 miles at an average heart rate of 152. I did a short, VERY hot, 20 minute run off the bike and was glad to be finished. The rest of the afternoon was spent mowing the lawn…which has been neglected the last few weeks.

Overall, training is going good. I’m a bit tired, but I suppose that’s to be expected. I’m ready for a rest week, but won’t get one for a couple more weeks.
I have two more weeks to go in the bike block and then I get an easy week.
Tomorrow is my day off and I’m looking forward to it.

Totals for the last two weeks:
Swim: 4.8 miles
Bike: 319 miles
Run: 27 miles
Core: 45 minutes

Hope everyone has a great 4th!

Happy Training.
TJ

6 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

That's some serious training! Perseverance is a good habit to fine tune prior to Ironman :-) I'm looking forward to cheering you on!!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

"Have you ever had one of those days when you just weren’t “into” the workout ahead?"

Yes, and in this heat they are happening way to often!

Way to stick it out and finish the workout. The way I have been lately I would have just rolled over and gone back to sleep.

Man, it had to have been HOT on that run!!!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

Dude....

Thats some serious training!

8:43 PM  
Blogger marz_racer said...

I have those days all the time. Looks like you are are pushing trough them just fine. Keep up the hard work, it all pays off.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Way to tough it out and get the workout in. I'm sitting here waiting on a client and hoping I don't lose my mojo for a 3.5 hour ride post meeting!

9:17 AM  
Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Way to hang in there... when that happens to me I plop down on the couch and watch a decorating show.
With a bag of chips. Of course the healthiest version Lay's offers... ;-)
Jenny

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home