Saturday, January 26, 2008

Rain Rain Go Away

Sitting here reading about Epic Camp, finishing my second cup of java, while it’s raining and 40 deg outside on a Saturday morning, is not a good combination. I suppose I could jump on the trainer…but that might take a couple more cups of coffee to get me jazzed enough for that.
If you’re not familiar with Epic Camp, it’s a multiday training camp put on by Scott Molina, Gordo Byrn, and John Newsom (my coach for IMFL). They do a MASSIVE amount of volume with the “campers” over a span of 8 days…12 in previous years. It’s always fun to follow along through their blog posts and podcasts. The camp starts tomorrow and is taking place in New Zealand.

The bone I was thrown for another trip around the Ironman Florida course this year started to not look so good after a conversation with DJ this week. She isn’t really onboard for another year of being an Iron-widow. She’s cool with it next year, but she’s holding me to my promise to skip a year. I know her well enough to know she’d support me either way, but I’m going to set my ambition aside for now and shine up my cowbell. I’ll be there cheering and registering for 09. Who’s with me?

Happy Training,
TJ

15 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Wise decision :-) I may be back spectating in 09... We'll have to see how 08 goes first!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Rainmaker said...

I need more cowbell!

Taking a year off will allow you to refresh though, and rock in 09! Enjoy the more laid back year.

11:17 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

If you made a promise and she's holding you to it, there's nothing more to be said. Family is most important. I'm proud of you, TJ!

10:06 AM  
Blogger J~Mom said...

Very wise decision! I hope the rain cleared up for you!

10:52 AM  
Blogger AB said...

Smart IM! You will live to train another day.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Marathoner in Training said...

Good choice on waiting for 09. We do not want divorced TJ's Endurance Adventures. Why don't you consider IRAZ? You might get Java Mom and I to consider taking you up on it.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Judi said...

Will she let you do a half? I am doing half in Aug and IMKY 09.

And you should try going for a run in the cold rain. It's not that bad!

9:09 PM  
Blogger marz_racer said...

I made the same promise. I am hoping to get back to Ironman in 09. Epic Camps look brutal fun.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

I'll be listening for that cowbell!!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

You gonna do IM Florida again?

You throw IM Az up and I'm down.

Whatcha say????

8:22 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

AZ in 09, hmmmm.........
Something to think about for sure.

7:26 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Those camps sounds so awesome. Maybe someday I'll do one.

Good on ya keeping your word with your family. :) You can do plenty of racing this year anyway.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Iron Girl Nyhus said...

Epic sounds hard but after its all said and done, I'm sure it great :)

Laura

9:37 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I would love to do IMFL someday. Maybe 2009? Listening to your inner voice and your wife's outer voice is a good thing! Next year is your year!

7:33 AM  
Blogger GetBackJoJo said...

Good good good. Always listen to the wishes of the wife. excellent. :)
The wait will just make you all the more jazzed for 09!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home