Friday, October 17, 2008

Darkness Cometh...Trainer Season

Remember the scene in Ghost when the shadows turned into demons and pulled Willy's soul down to hell? No matter how much he resisted, the darkness still got him. That's kinda how I'm feeling lately. Summer is long gone and the days are getting shorter. No matter how much I resist, the short days of winter are still going to get me and pull me down into trainer hell. In a few weeks, there'll only be maybe 30 or 45 minutes of daylight left after work….which translates into doing most of my rides on the f###ing trainer. By February I'll get nauseous at the thought of doing another trainer ride. But…….at least I'll have weekends for long rides. We rarely get winter weather here that keeps us off the roads, unlike some of my tri brethren to the North. I don't see how yall do it.

Training is still rocking along in maintenance mode, at least for another couple of weeks. I'm still ticking off 3 sessions in each sport per week in the 12 hr range. I'm going to start a run focus period beginning in November and work on getting my volume back up and building some durability into my run, AND... the run focus will help keep me off the d##n trainer. If all goes well, I may do an early season half or full marathon. We'll see.

I've got a couple of gear purchases coming up that I've been considering for a loooong time.
Santa may come a bit early this year. I'll save the details for another post when I have pictures to go along with it.

Also, for the geeks out there who are into the physiological side of things (or trying to learn like me), head over to Alan Couzens’ blog. He knows his stuff and has put up several very informative posts lately. Most of it goes right over my head, but I learn something new every time I go to his blog.

Ironman Florida is just around the corner and I am looking forward to cheering on my fellow bloggers:
Wes
Michele
Tricajun
Lana
Tim
Missy
Good luck to all of you…..I wish I were racing with you!

Happy Training,
TJ

8 Comments:

Blogger George Houston said...

Amen to that. Trainers Suck!

I have found that Netflix helps keep it from being so boring. Put on a good movie and the time will fly by - Hopefully.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Wes said...

Looking forward to seeing you again TJ!! I'm not sure when I'll get back on the bike after Ironman. I've got a few things I want to pick up again, like chess and my P90X DVDs :-D

12:05 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

I have to go to trainer hell tomorrow since I am a single mom this week.

Gear purchases?!?!?!? Can't wait to see what Santa is dropping off at your house.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Trainers blow, how about a wicked good headlight? I got a Lupine last year and it lights the nite...but you have to find a few other crazies to go with - I won't do it alone. Yeah for FLA, cheer for us from the comfort of your PC, I'm 2207!

5:21 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Yeah, I don't know how those folks up north deal with riding indoors all the time during the winters. I'd go nuts not being able to go outdoors at least on weekends.

Look forward to hearing what Santa is bringing you!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Santa makes everything better...

10:19 PM  
Blogger jen said...

That scene in Ghost was really disturbing, thanks for reminding me! :( (jk)

I was just thinking about the short days to come and the trainer. Booooo.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Yes, that's exactly how it feels facing the trainer, like being sucked down to hell. One of the best things about being a triathlete is the excuse to be outside so much and it's hard not to be. Must find a good show to watch this year. Last year was Dexter & Firefly.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home