Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Calling all Physiologists, Coaches and Learned Athletes. Analyze My Lactate Results.

If you’ve been following along, you know I recently purchased a Lactate Pro blood lactate analyzer. I conducted my first test last night.
Since this was my first attempt at perfoming the test, I wasn’t quite sure where to start pace-wise. I started very slowly and increased speed in ½ mph increments. I’ll start at a faster pace next time and save a few test strips.
Also, this is NOT a one person job. I could not have completed the test without my lovely assistant D.J.

I was a bit surprised with the test results. I expected the lactate to begin rising at a lower heart rate. As you can see, the first increase in lactate doesn’t occur until 177bpm, which is well above where I do the majority of my training. Most of my training is in the 140s.

The test was performed on a treadmill set to a gradient of 1.5.
Each stage is four minutes long.
Heart rate given is the average heart rate of the final minute of the stage.
Speed is given as miles per hour/minutes per mile.
RPE is given on a scale of 1-5.
Lactate is given in mmol/Liter.
I’m not sure what happened on stage 4 to give a low reading.
Here are the results:





Analyze away!

Comments welcomed.

TJ

7 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Statistically speaking, stage four was outside the standard norm, so you can probably just toss that one out entirely. Dude! You got a killer heart rate range. 205??? Holy crap. I think I would be having a heart attack at that point! LOL. If you do get back any help with the results, let us know. I found a place in Roswell that will do the test for 80.00! So you can put your ice pick away...

10:19 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

Yeah. I'm not sure what happened with stage 4. Maybe it was just a fluke. Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer.

Darn!!! I had my ice pick all sharpened and ready to go.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

TJ,
Being a former Marine, I will be no help to you.

I was curious though...
how does Lac tate? Like chicken?

11:37 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

you jarheads are no help... :)

12:36 PM  
Blogger marz_racer said...

That's a screaming heart rate man. How do you keep it in your chest?

3:12 PM  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

That is Very Cool. I have no idea how to interpret the results, though. Hope your knee is still feeling better!

3:41 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

marz -- the highest hr i've ever seen is 209. i really didn't expect to have to go as high as i did to get the lactate levels needed.

lana -- the knee is doing great. thanks. i haven't run long on it yet. next week maybe.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home