Monday, February 26, 2007

The Value of Keeping a Training Log


As mentioned in a previous post, my energy levels have been running a bit low lately.
I decided to take a look back in my training log from February of last year. Interesting stuff. Here’s the entry from today a year ago:

02-28-06 (Tues): K started running fever last Tuesday at school and D took her home early. I did my long run (10 miles) Tuesday after work. I stayed home with K Wednesday with the intention of doing my workouts when I could. I didn’t get any workouts in Wednesday, or Thursday. I biked and ran Friday. I started feeling bad Friday night and knew I was getting sick also. I’d been feeling a bit sluggish, but didn’t want to even think about getting sick, but it happened. So, now I’ve got two weeks behind me with very few workouts having been done…. zero swims. I’ll be heading into March feeling about as fit as a wet noodle. I’m just going to do the best I can. Today is my first day back at work in a week. I doubt I’ll workout today and hopefully will be able to do something tomorrow.


And from about the same time in 2005:

02-24-05 (Thurs): Went to the doc yesterday. He said it looked like allergies. He gave me some flonase spray to try. I wasn’t feeling all that great last night, so I skipped the workout. I guess I’ll call it part of the taper for the half marathon next week. We are going to Jekyll Island next week for spring break. My training will be reduced then as well. I should be well rested come race day. I just hope I’m not sluggish. Today is a scheduled rest day. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow and decide if I run. I’d like to do an hour easy at least.
I ended up having to go on antibiotics a couple of weeks after this doctor’s visit. The Zpack quickly cleared up whatever illness I had.


For whatever reason, February is not a good time of the year for me as far as health goes. Maybe it’s the weather, or doing too much too early (but I don't think so), or an allergy of some kind that appears at this point in the year. I don’t really know. But me thinks maybe I should try to avoid digging the hole any deeper this year.
So…..here’s my plan for the next couple of weeks. Instead of plowing through every workout because it has to be done….because it’s on the schedule….I’m gonna try dropping the long stuff and keeping the frequency normal. I’ll drop the planned speed work and one strength session. I’m going to rest as much as possible. I’m going to eat as well as I can and lay off some of the stuff that may be contributing to my lack of energy……after I finish the Red Velvet Cake. Hopefully things will come around after these two weeks and I’ll be able to ramp things back up to get ready for Gulf Coast half in May.

TJ

5 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Those training logs are worth their weight in gold. I thought you gave away the rest of the cake? Sneaky, sneaky!! I think training, especially during the winter months, has the ability to wear us down. Then, when the weather changes, boom. We get sick. Stay on top of it.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Iron Girl Nyhus said...

Very interesting. Cool that you have been keeping a log for so long. I think your plan sounds good. Keep the consistency but tone down the intensity :) Keep up the good work!

9:58 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

wes -- i gave away MOST of the cake....not all. there's one piece left.

10:07 AM  
Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

TJ - just though you should know that irongirlnyhus and marz_racer were all abuzz about your cake picture last night at kitchen spinning... ;-)

yum!

I think you're right on track with listening to your body about the training... you ARE training hard, you ARE seeing results, and you WILL be ready for race season.

Sometimes training is like watching your kids grow, you're "in it" day in day out, so you don't notice all the changes, but when you take a moment to go back a year, you can see where you've come from and where you are.

You're doing great.
Jenny

10:26 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

it's definitely buzzworthy....
the kitchen spin sessions sound fun.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home