Monday, March 05, 2007

The Volunteer Experience

I did one of the hardest things I’ve ever done Saturday. For seven hours, I stood by and watched runner after runner go by…. unable to give chase.
Standing still can be one of the hardest things to DO at times.

I volunteered in the first EVER local marathon here in our fair city. I was posted between mile 25 and the finish line. My job was to direct vehicle traffic away from the runners. I repeated the following phrase a few hundred times during the day, “A marathon is currently underway, please slow your speed and remain in the left lane after turning”.


I saw them all. From the gazelle-like speedster Kenyan who first floated by and went on to win the overall title, to the elderly gentleman who labored by during the final minutes before the cut-off…..and everyone in between. Walkers, physically challenged athletes, wacky characters in funky costumes, old, young, fat, skinny, tanned, pale, short, tall, fit, not-so-fit, first timers, veterans…I saw them all. It was quite an experience. One I won’t soon forget. I walked away with a new appreciation for volunteers and their importance in me being able to do what I love. It truly couldn’t be done without them. I’ll find it hard to ever pass another volunteer without saying thank you.

Why did I not participate in this race? The short answer…it just didn’t fit into my overall journey to Ironman. This year is all about doing the right things to get to IMFL in the best condition possible. It was really…REALLY…hard to pass on this race. But I know it was the right decision.
Next year however, will be a different story….

TJ

6 Comments:

Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

I've never volunteered at a race before; however, being in the same Ironman training mode...I may.

Must have been tuff to watch.

12:17 PM  
Blogger DV said...

The volunteers are DEFINITELY the unsung heroes of every race...
Thanks!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Kudos to you for volunteering. I keep checking the IMFL website to see when volunteer registration is for this year. No luck yet. Sometimes, even when you know you are right, its hard to resist doing what you want to do. Way to keep your eyes on the bigger picture...

5:50 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

It is good to be on the other side now and then. I am always amazed at the responses from the athletes - from meaningful thank you's to offensive remarks because I did not react quite fast enough to them. It takes all kinds and makes the experience worthwhile.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Iron Girl Nyhus said...

The volunteers definitely make the race! Wait until Ironman... they are the heroes!

11:07 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Volunteers are the greatest, kudos to you for stepping in to volunteer at a marathon. I was hoping to do the same at our (first in many years) local marathon, but alas I'll be out of town.

The volunteers at IMFL were *awesome*, you'll get it back tenfold. Enjoy!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home