Tuesday, May 01, 2007

It's Getting Hot!

It got into the 90s here yesterday and the forecast says we’ll have more of the same for the remainder of the week.
Goodbye pleasant spring temps…hello summer heat!

Last week was another busy week for me. Lots of stuff going on away from training.
Our workload has steadily grown over the past few years at work. As a result, the workforce has also increased…to the point that it’s become an issue for my supervisor to manage the people in my area, as well as his other areas. The decision was made to establish a team leader position within our office to alleviate some of those supervisory demands. I was offered that position last week and accepted it. It’ll mean a few more clams in the basket, but also more work. Hopefully I can continue to keep everything balanced.

As noted in a previous post, I’ve been debating buying a power meter and hiring a coach. After much deliberation, I’ve come to a decision on both items. I’ve emailed and spoken with several coaches during the last few weeks. In the end, it was an easy decision to go with John Newsom as my coach. I’m very familiar with John’s style of coaching, having listened to many of his podcasts at Ironman Talk. John is one of the very best at what he does and knows his stuff…and he’s a great athlete himself. I know he’ll get more out of me than I ever would have on my own.
As for the power meter, I’ve decided to hold off on getting one…at least in the near future. Maybe later in the summer. But for now it’s on the back burner.

I missed a couple of sessions in the middle of last week due to just plain out being busy. But overall it was a good week of training.
The hot temperatures made my 8.5 mile run a bit tougher than normal yesterday. I ended up with about a 9:00/mile pace for the run. I’m hoping to maintain at least 9:45/mile pace at GCT.
I didn’t work Friday to be with KJ at her school field day, which put me a bit behind at work. I went in Saturday morning to catch up on a few things and did my ride in the afternoon. I ended up with 40 windy miles at an average of 19mph. Hopefully my bike fitness will be good enough for an 18 average at GCT.

I threw some chicken on the grill when I got home from the ride Saturday afternoon and kicked back with a few cold beers. A fitting end to a busy week.

My posting will probably be scarce between now and after the race.
My only goal for Gulf Coast is to break 6 hours. Anything under six and I’ll be happy.
I feel much more prepared this year as opposed to last year.
Time will tell….

Happy Training
TJ

8 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Hey! Hope your coach helps you achieve your goals. Did he have any input into the power meter decision? Good luck with the busy schedule and the half ironman coming up.

12:06 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Congrats on the promotion TJ!

I think you're going to love having a coach. You are obviously commited to improving, and I think this will really bring your racing to the next level. Whoo hoo!!!

If you don't post before the Tri, let me take this opportunity to say Good Luck! You're going to rock. Have fun. :)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Isn't a good beer a fitting way to end a nice long weekend workout? I think so.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

Congrats on your work promotion.

Good luck with your schedule and race.

I'll be posting my HIM results on Tues or Wednes...it's this Sunday!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

A promotion, a new coach and a great race coming up. Life seems to be pretty dang good for you.

Good luck on your race. And thanks for the Ironman Talk podcast mention. I had not heard that one and have added it to my iTunes downloads.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the new title and responsibilities. I know you're not blogging much before the event, so want to send good wishes early. Best of luck!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Good luck this weekend at the race.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Good Luck on the GCT. I raced it last year and had a blast!

I just wanted to give you a holler from another fellow GA triathlete.

Murtha...

http://jmurthatri.blogspot.com

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home