Monday, April 23, 2007

Crazed Squirrel Encounter

Taper week one is done. Three to go.
I kept the intensity up and dropped the volume back a bit.
My energy has bounced back and I’m ready to go.
Gotta keep the taper rolling though.

The training highlight of the week was my encounter with a crazed squirrel.
I decided to ride with the club Saturday…it was breakfast ride day…free food…I’m all about free food. Anyway, we were on the post breakfast portion of the ride. I was up front and had unknowingly pulled away from the pack. I tend to not look back very often. I was cruising along in my own world and suddenly noticed something move on the left side of the road. Before I knew it, a squirrel decided it needed to occupy the same portion of pavement as my front wheel.

It’s amazing how fast the mind works in critical situations. I suddenly had visions of slamming on brakes…being run over by the paceline…bikes scattering all over the road…and murdering a squirrel in the process. Somehow these visions made their way through my brain quickly enough to shunt the reflex action of squeezing the brakes. Instead, I made a quick maneuver and missed the crazed rodent by mere millimeters.
I took a quick look back after averting the murderous mayhem only to see the nearest rider was a couple hundred yards back.
Close one…..


On a more personal note, I’ve got to pull out my “Proud Dad Card” and boast a bit.
My KJ decided she wanted to participate in the Little Miss pageant at her school. Actually it’s not a pageant in the traditional sense. No formal gowns and makeup and whatnot. The theme was western…as you’ll see in the pictures. It’s meant to give the girls a chance to get up in front of a crowd, have fun and build some confidence in the process.

KJ’s school is a Christian academy. The girls had to pick their favorite bible verse and then tell why it was their favorite. KJ had practiced over and over what she was going to say. She was the first participant in her group and was a bit nervous. She came out on stage with a big smile and nailed her speech. They also had to draw a random question out of a basket. She did a great job answering the question and left the stage smiling.

After all the groups finished and a 30ish minute wait, all the girls gathered/packed back on stage and the winners were announced. With each runner up, my heart beat a little faster. Finally came the announcement and KJ was crowned Little Miss. She was so excited. It was a great moment for her. I can’t wait to get home today and hear how her first day at school as Little Miss went.


At home before leaving.

Outside of the auditorium before going in.

A very happy KJ

9 Comments:

Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

So awesome for KJ!! That sort of confidence is one of those things that is almost impossible for a parent to "teach"... a kid has to observe and pick it up; then try it out a few times... looks like she's getting it. That'll go a long way.
Ye-haw!
Jenny

1:54 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Congratulations to KJ! That is awesome. Nothing like a quick shot of adrenaline to work our reflexes over eh? I think, if I was in a pack like that, I would have just hammered the squirrel. Glad you weren't. Glad you didn't :-)

5:11 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

I have had close class with squirrels while on the bike too. They never can decide which way to runa nd just dart back and forth in front of me.

Congrats to KJ, she looks very cute.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Congratulations to KJ. Way to go.

10:14 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Congratulations KJ! She did awesome and looks so pretty. Good job!!

Great bike ride, TJ, nice squirrel reflexes.

2:16 PM  
Blogger DV said...

what a cutie!

and it sounds like you're going to rock the bike at the races this year - a couple hundred yards ahead without realizing it - sweet!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

First off, she's a cutie.

Second, I've had numerous encounters with psycho squirrels. So many close calls. I'd rather deal with snakes any day. You expect them to be devious!

Thanks for the knee comments over on my blog. I'm dealing, but thoughtful comments always make it easier.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Iron Girl Nyhus said...

Way to go KJ!!!!!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

Way to Go, KJ!!! I'm proud of her!

Got the check..thanks brother.

PS. I would of flattened that squirrel like a pancake.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home