Sunday, November 02, 2008

Lap 2


I made the trip down to Panama City Beach with AB this weekend to watch Ironman Florida and sign up for my 2nd lap around the Ironman Florida course. 2009 is gonna be a great year. I would have much rather been racing, but it was also a great day to be a spectator and watch the race unfold as Tom Evans shattered the course record.

A few highlights of the trip were getting to met IronSherpa DeeDee, seeing Wes half way through the marathon and seeing Lana as she headed out for lap number two on the marathon. I looked for all the other blogger peeps, and I'm sure you passed right in front of me, but I missed yall in the chaos . Congrats to all of you!

The registration process was a bit different this go 'round. In 2006 when I signed up for lap number 1, I got to the race site about 6:45am. There were hardly any others around and I was about 10th in line. This year, I got to the Boardwalk a little after 7am and there were 2 lines already. Each line was at least a couple hundred yards long. One line was for the volunteers and the other was for the rest of us. They started registering the volunteers around 7:15-7:30. They finished with them around 8:15 and our line started slowly moving soon afterwards. The actual registration only took maybe five minutes once I got in the tent. A volunteer took my vital info, credit card number, explained the process and sent me on my way. After registering, I headed straight over to the Boardwalk and made my reservations at the condos for next year. Now all I have to do is get my a$$ in gear and get fit for an Ironman again. I'm glad I have a whole year....

I took a ton of pictures. Here are a few of the leaders.


Tom Evans looking strong just out of T2.



Torbjorn Sindballe a few minutes behind



Bella coming in from the bike course headed for T2



Tom making the turn at mile 13.



Bella at mile 13 on her way to win number 5 in Florida.


Tom Evans a few 100 yards from the finish line and a record smashing time.


Happy Training,

TJ

10 Comments:

Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Heard the weather this year was about as good as it gets. Congrats on getting in for 2009!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Dude!! Thanks so much for giving me a moment to come out of race mode and recognize you!! I would have been totally pissed at myself if I had waited to make the connection after the race. Plus, you gave me a good excuse to stop and take a break on the second lap!! ROFL!!! That was priceless!!!

Thanks for catching me on the run, bro!!! It was totally worth it. Maybe I'll see you again next year if I volunteer!!! That would cool.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

yah! congratulations and happy training!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

We were probably standing right near each other! Dur! Were you hanging with the peeps under the tent right by the run out from transition?

1:39 PM  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Yay for IMFL '09, TJ! You are going to rock it! Great pics, by the way. Bella Rules!

4:13 PM  
Blogger IronTriTim said...

Sorry I missed you TJ. It was a great day, the supporters were fantastic.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Great photos! Looked like fun!!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Great pix..only saw those guys on their way in to the finish line. What a great day it was, all around!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay... glad that you had fun. As a race, it was a great day! See ya next year out there! :) I couldn't resist another go at it!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Femin Susan said...

Good luck tomorrow!! Have a great race!!

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home