Monday, February 05, 2007

WIR #5

I started out the week with a 1 mile swim Monday morning. I did my long run of 11.5 miles Monday afternoon/night. This was a great run, much better than last week. The weather was 100% better as well.

Tuesday morning I did a 40 minute strength session. I did 45 minutes on the trainer Tuesday afternoon, but with a twist. I added the first intensity of the year. Actually, it’s the first intensity I’ve done in three months. It felt great to go hard. I did about 15 minutes of core work after the ride.

I did another mile in the pool Wednesday morning. This swim was tough for some reason. My pace was a bit faster than normal, but not by much. I guess it was just one of “those” workouts. I decided I’d add some intensity to my run Wednesday afternoon. I ended up with about 5 miles and was pretty tired afterwards. Even though it felt hard, I really wasn’t going very fast. But, it was nice to get going after tooling around at 10-12 minute miles for the last three months. I did 20 minutes of core afterwards.

I was back in the gym Thursday morning for about 38 minutes of strength training. I did an hour on the trainer Thursday evening and did a bit of core work afterwards.

Now for the big news of the week…..big to me. I did a 4450 yard (2.5 mile) straight swim Friday morning. I realize this is a normal swim for some folks, but it was a big deal for me. I knew I could do it before, but now I KNOW I can. Best of all, I felt great during the whole swim. That’s a huge confidence boost for me. My pace was slow; it took me an hour and 30 minutes….and 9 seconds. But doing it fast wasn’t the point. I’ve got a long time before race day to work on getting faster. Doing it non-stop and not feeling like I needed a nap afterwards was the point. One of the things in the back of my mind during these long dark base months has been the fear of coming out of the water at Ironman Florida, being totally shelled, and having a bad day as a result. Not to say that won’t happen on race day, but now I know it’s possible for me to complete the swim and feel good afterwards.
I had a great 4.2 mile run Friday afternoon.

Saturday morning was predicted to be a little on the cold side (for us warm climate types anyway). I decided to go into work Saturday morning, do a little catching up, and wait for the temps to rise before starting my ride. The forecast was for high 20s/low 30s starting out, warming to low 50s. Trusting the forecast, I brought clothes for riding in 50-degree temps. Noon quickly rolled around and I did a quick check of the temperature before leaving. 37 degrees with a “feels-like” temp of 30. Not good! When I walked out the door I knew immediately that I should’ve brought warmer clothing. Oh well, I’ll be ok once I get going, I though. So I suited up, loaded up with bars, gels, and drink, and headed out.

Wow. It’s freakin cold, was all I could think the first couple of miles. But I’ll be ok once I get the blood flowing, I thought……
The ride was planned to be three hours. I was doing a 13-mile loop and figured it’d take me about four loops to complete the ride. About half way through the first loop, my fingers were numb, my toes were aching, and I was thinking, screw this, I’m going home, this ain’t fun. I’d almost decided to scrap the ride, but as I neared the end of the first loop, I decided I’d dig around in my truck and see if I could find more clothes. I found a long sleeved t-shirt and another pair of gloves. I put on the extra layer and decided I’d try one more loop. I made it through the second loop and felt a little better. Still cold, fingers and toes still hurting, but not as bad. I decided I’d keep going.

I hadn’t eaten lunch at noon before starting and I’d been so preoccupied with getting warm that I’d totally forgotten to eat or drink while riding up until this point. Doooooh! I knew I wouldn’t be able to eat on the go with my double-gloved cold hands. I’d have to stop, take off the gloves and a layer of clothing, eat, re-layer, and proceed. I’ll get around to it in a bit when I warm up a little more, I thought. I completed the third loop and was starting to feel the effects of not eating or drinking. But, I figured, what’s the use in eating now, I only have one loop to go. Not far into the fourth and final loop, my heart rate began to rise, though my pace was steady. I started to feel my energy begin to fade. My thoughts during the final half of the loop were, JUST FINISH.

I stepped off my bike back at the parking lot, glad to be finished, but feeling a little dizzy. I think I was beginning to bonk. A pretty dumb mistake on my part to not eat for the entire three hours. I was not feeling good at all.
I loaded up my bike, changed clothes and headed home. I turned the heat on full blast and soon felt the needles in my fingers and toes as the numbness started to fade. As I headed home, I noticed a Burger King up ahead. You know what comes next…. “I’ll have a number one with coke please”. Nothing like a whopper, fries and a coke to replenish the stores. I scarfed it down. Soon…….. all was right with the world again.
Hard lesson #453 learned…No matter how many layers have to be removed, EAT during long workouts. Though this was far from my most stellar ride, I was glad to have gutted it out and completed it.

This week is a recovery week for me. I’m going with a 3:1 train/recovery ratio and see how it works for me. In other words, I’ll train normally for three weeks and then take the fourth week as a recovery week. During the recovery week (this week), I’ll basically cut the duration of my long sessions in half, knock the upper heart rate limit of workouts down by 10 bpm (yep, it’s gonna be really slow), cut about a quarter of the duration off of my normal runs and rides, cut out one of the three sets of my strength sessions, and do no hard intensity. I’ll keep the core work the same. I want to feel like I’m not doing nearly enough during this week and be chomping at the bits when next Monday morning rolls around.
Bring on the recovery!

TJ

8 Comments:

Blogger DV said...

now that's a swim to be proud of! awesome week

9:35 AM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

I agree w/TriJack...the distance and no worries about the cutoff.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

BTW...give me some scoop on the fuel belt you use. Thinking about getting one.
ferreira.jay@gmail.com

11:27 AM  
Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

what a week.... and good you learned lesson #453 in training and not at FL IM. Ironman is a long day. If you don't eat throughout it, you will absoulutely bonk. My opinion is that it's 25% training, 25% mental, and 50% nutrition and hydration, which you MUST get "right".
You don't even want to know how many people are bonking out there and by the time the run comes around, they CAN'T eat and just lay on the roadside, hurl on the roadside, or stand in the port-o-let line on the roadside. You will see that it's on the run that the "planners" shine even if they're shuffling. They're shuffling past a lot of bonkers.
Not that the bonkers didn't train their butts off like everybody else... but IM is about more than the training...
Enjoy your recovery week!

1:43 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

thanks for the advice jenny. i definitely don't want to end up on the side of the road on the run. i usually do pretty good with taking in nutrition. saturdays ride was a painful reminder of what will happen if i don't get it in.
i felt great 30 minutes after eating. i wonder if there is a burger king on the run course? :)

1:59 PM  
Blogger marz_racer said...

Listen to Jenny, whe knows whats up! By the way, you've been tagged. Check out my blog for the details.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

I don't care if you drifted for 2.5 miles. That is incredible! What a great head start you have on your swim. But, hmmmm. Not sure what to think about the bike though. I know next to nothing about eating and drinking during training. Before, yes. After, yes. During, no. You're setting a bad example for us newbies :-)

10:00 PM  
Blogger marz_racer said...

Apparently I had selective reading skills when I waslooking at your blog. I didn't see that you had been tagged already.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home