Saturday, February 10, 2007

Throw in the towel

This week was to be my first official recovery week of the year. I wasn’t carrying a lot of fatigue, but was looking forward to an easy week and a little more time with D and K. Monday through Thursday morning went great. All workouts were done at very easy efforts and I was feeling great. I finished up my last strength session of the week Thursday morning and was really looking forward to the weekend. The local bike club buys breakfast for all members once each month and it just so happened that Saturday was “breakfast ride” day. I was looking forward to an easy club ride, partaking in a little free food and catching up with friends.

Well…..things began to change mid-morning Thursday. I started to have a “twinge” in my stomach and began to feel a bit tired. I thought it might’ve been a little indigestion and tried to ignore it. It worsened through the day until I knew things were not going to get better. I left work at 3pm and headed straight home. Not long after getting home I….um…well…..kinda….lost my lunch. And did so several more times throughout the afternoon. I was down for the count. Big time. With fever and chills and the whole bit.
I crawled into bed about 8pm Thursday night and stayed there for the next 12 hours. I woke up Friday morning feeling much better. I was able to eat Friday and started getting some strength back. I feel much better this morning. Not good enough to do the club ride, but good enough to go for a walk with the D and K later today.

Oddly enough, one of the thoughts that came to mind while I was feeling my worst was…”What if this happens during the week of Ironman”. To go from feeling fit to only wanting to lay motionless in bed would not be a good thing come race week. I suppose it just goes to show that we really can only control what we can control. I can only prepare my body and mind to the best of my ability and have to let those things which are out of my reach take care of themselves. A tough pill to swallow sometimes.

In other news, I finally got around to ordering the movie What It Takes. It came in last week and I’ve had plenty of time to watch it… a few times…. the last couple of days. For a trigeek, it’s a must see movie. The main thing I took from the movie was these people are very much “regular” people…beyond the fact that they get to train all day, get massage whenever they want, make a living at sport, blah, blah, yada, yada.
Heather Fuhr comes across as one of the coolest, nicest, most down to earth people. She seems like she’d be a lot of fun to hang out with. Actually they all do. Peter Reid is the most open and revealing. He pretty much lays it all out concerning his personal life.
There's some cool music in the movie also. "Broken" by Complete has already made it's way onto my mp3 player.
I’m pretty sure I was the last person who hadn’t seen the movie, but if you haven’t seen it, and you’re into endurance sports, you should give it a look.

That's it for now. I'm heading back to the couch.

TJ

7 Comments:

Blogger Spokane Al said...

I trust that you will soon be back on you feet and rocking in training towards your IM goals. And perhaps you can look at this temporary downtime as a good thing.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

It will not happen come race week! I hope you feel better soon- and at least it happened during recovery week.

My body often lets me down when I start to rest, but it never lets me down tooo badly before my big races.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

AH, you caught the notoriusly evil stomach bug. Damn! Here's to a speedy recovery. Since you are on a recovery week, try copious amounts of alcohol! Just kiddin! I'm reading a book called, "Becoming and Ironman". It is really inspirational. I can send it to you if you like when I am done. Don't project every day life into future events. What happens now, is now. You can't predict what will happen in the future.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

My kids had a similar stomach bug. Not good.

My wife dosed us up w/this Vitamin C powder drink "thingy" that we drank 2X a day.

I'm going to start taking it on a regular basis, as it has lots of other vitamins. Gives me really expensive pee.

9:36 AM  
Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

WHat's wrong with the couch????? That's my favorite spot. Recovery is the 4th discipline. Sometimes it takes a lot of discipline to do it....

10:37 PM  
Blogger jen said...

I hope you are feeling better now. Don't worry, this won't happen on race week. Do what you can with avoiding germs, but don't stress out about it. :)

12:51 PM  
Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Hey buddy - are you still sick? Let us know!
Hope you're feeling better...
Jenny

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home