Wednesday, March 28, 2007

1000 yard TT

Seems everybody out in blogland is doing swimming time trials these days.
I had no clue what my 100…500…or 1000 yard TT time was….cause….um….I’ve never done one. But, figuring there must be some value in it, I gave it a shot this morning. Of course I picked the 1000. I warmed up with 5 very easy laps. Then it was on. After about 3 laps, I began to wonder if I’d started out too fast as my lungs began to burn and my arms became heavy. I kept the pace up however. I made it to ten laps and thought, “Oh $hi#, I’m only half way”. I’m normally a 3 stroke bilateral breather, but by this time, I was taking in air whenever I could. I held on for the next ten laps and ended up with a time of 17:32. Don’t know if this is good or bad, but it was about all I had. At least it’s a starting point to monitor my progress.
I must admit, my swimming program is about as complicated as 1st grade math…and that might be pushing things a bit.
Let’s see. My program consists of, Monday…get in the pool and swim a mile at an easy to moderate effort. Wednesday….get in the pool and swim a mile at an easy to moderate effort. Friday…get in the pool and swim 1.2-2.4 miles at an easy pace. That’s it, no drills, no intervals, no kicking, no breaststroke, no nothing, just straight swimming.
I suppose if I want to get that 17:32 down to a lower number, maybe I should try a little structure…eh?

Happy Training,
TJ

6 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

I guess having a checkpoint in swimming is just as important as running/biking in order to gauge your progress. I know you are not a beginner, but the www.beginnertriathlete.com web site has some good swimming info you might find useful. I also got somewhat interested in this book. There are others, but I at least thought it was interesting...

8:55 AM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

I think your time was great. Faster than me, but that's not saying much!!! :P

Have a great day, bro.

9:39 AM  
Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

That sounds fast to me - now you have your benchmark...
I only wish I were a bilateral breather. I breathe every single stroke on the right and I am too old to change that! I "sight" forward, and on open water swims I "sight" every fourth breath.
Jenny

9:49 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Great job TJ! That seems extremely fast to me, I'm impressed. You might not do many drills but you sure do swim a lot! Keep up the good work! :)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

That is a good time! Throw in a little drills and speedwork here and there and no doubt you can bring it down even more!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Iron Girl Nyhus said...

Yeah, I've never done a TT on the swim either... kind of don't want to, that would mean I would have to push myself :) hehe

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home