Monday, March 26, 2007

Simply Stu Worldwide Triathlon Race Report - And New Lactate Results

KJ has been wanting to complete a triathlon for a while and the 2nd Annual Simply Stu Worldwide Triathlon was the perfect opportunity for her to get her triathlon feet wet. For those that may not know Stu, he is the most wickedly cool tri geek around. His podcasts serve to motivate, inspire, and educate the tri community. If you've never listened to his podcasts, you're missing out.

Our day started out at about 8:00am with a proper breakfast to provide us with ample fuel for the day’s events. After topping off our tanks, we headed to the YMCA to begin. KJ completed the first lap of the swim without any problem and was glad to get going. At the end of lap 2, she started getting a little tired and we took a little break. Lap three was completed at a slower rate, and other than having to avoid a few of the swim class kids, she didn’t have any problems. We took another break after lap three. Lap four was a bit harder, but she finished with a smile on her face. Swim leg finished! 200 yards. 17:10.




K.J. getting ready to go in T1





Ready to go.





Here we go!



We made the short drive home from the Y and made the transition to the bike. We set out with the intention of completing six miles. Normally, K.J. would have no problem with that distance, but the addition of the swim beforehand had her energy running a bit low. As we started, she made the statement that she wasn’t sure if she could do all 6 miles. I told her we’d do the best we could and go from there. At mile 1, she was feeling good, no problems. At mile 2, she said “let’s just do four miles”. Again, I told her we’d do the best we could and go from there. From that point on, every time she’d ask how far along we were, my bike computer would be on a different setting and I couldn’t tell her how far we’d gone (darn! wink wink). 3 miles came, then 4, 5, 6, and at mile 6.2, she said “We’ve gotta be getting close to 4 miles”. She almost jumped off the bike when I told her we’d traveled over 6 miles. (great lesson for her to learn about exceeding her self imposed limitations). We finished up with 6.58 miles. 56:24.



Heading into T2




K.J. in T2



After a few gulps of water and a quick transition, we were off on the run. 1.5 miles was our goal. K.J.’s energy was running high after her stellar bike. I had to hold her back at the beginning of the run. After about a quarter mile, we took the first walk break. From that point on, we would run about 500 yards and then walk about the same distance. The temperature had started to rise on the run also, 85 degrees. K.J.’s energy was running low towards the end of the run, but she hung tough and we finished up with 1.8 miles! We were so busy celebrating at the end that I forgot to hit the stop watch, but the run took us about 30 minutes.





Heading out on the Run




YEEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!



I was so proud of K.J. This was her first EVER triathlon. She never wanted to quit. We had to slow considerably a few times, but she never said she needed or wanted to stop. She was exhausted at the end, but was ready to play basketball after a short rest.
When it was getting hot and she was feeling the most tired on the run, I asked her if she wanted to do another triathlon. She answered yes without hesitation. I think I’ve got a future training partner.







Total time including transitions: about 2 hours and 10 minutes. But who cares…she finished!!!!!!! Not bad for an 8 year old. It was an awesome day.




I also did my lactate test again due to a couple of suspect stages. We were much more careful this time and got better results (no spikes in the lactate profile). I'm including the results of both tests.


______________________






Happy Training!
TJ

5 Comments:

Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

REALLY COOL!

Jake, my 8 year old did his first triathlon on Saturday after his soccer game. SIMPLY STU, too. :)

It turned into a duathlon, as our rec center pool was closed suddenly with a broken pipe.

Jake and I biked 2 to the rec center as a warmup (then found out about the pool)...then biked 2 more, and ran 1. He was tuckered out from his soccer game, but still ran a 10 minute mile!!!! I was really surprised.

Tell your girl, we are all very proud of her!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Wes said...

That brought a smile to my face. I'm working on my boyz to get them to tri, but not having much success. My youngest says he's a rider, not a runner. My oldest is too busy with his women and soccer and such. Nice job on finishing your first tri, KJ! Keep Dad looking over his shoulder for you....

12:04 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Yes! Great job KJ!!! That is the coolest thing ever. Those pictures made me smile. :) Good job.

I love Stu's podcast and the Worldwide Triathlon. Unfortunately I had my 20 miler this weekend and couldn't manage any more training. :D

Thanks for sharing your daughter's race report. :)

1:30 PM  
Blogger Hollyfish said...

Most EXCELLENT!!! KJ, do you realize that you finished what amounts to Half of a WHOLE sprint tri!!?? That's more than I could've done at my first tri effort. Amazing job!!! Thanks for posting, TJ. Great inspiration!!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Awesome!!! My 6 year old is wanting to try a tri this summer.
Tell your daughter congrats that is HUGE!!!!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home