Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Coaching/Power...Advice Needed

Alright my Bloglandic friends, I’m in need of some advice on a couple of things I’ve been considering on my journey to Ironman.
Hiring a coach and buying a power meter.

I’ve been tri training for about three years. I’m a relative newbie and therefore don’t have a ton of experience to draw from. Over the past few years, I’ve done a good bit of reading on training, physiology, nutrition, etc. I know enough to get myself through a half Ironman and I “think” I know enough to get myself through the full deal. But here’s the conundrum, what if I think I’ve done enough for the big day and end up having a rough day as a result of actually not having done enough…what if I could have a much better experience if I hired a coach who does have the experience and has the ability to put all the pieces together at the right time?
When I first started thinking of hiring a coach, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to totally hand over my plan to someone else. But, the more I consider it, the more I like the idea. It takes the pressure of trying to figure out the when/what/how of it all off of me and allows me to just train.
I would REALLY like to hear from those of you who’ve worked with a coach. The positives and negatives.

On to the next item. I’ve read all the data on the positives of training with power. I’m sold on the benefits of knowing how much output is being produced. But here’s what I want to know, for those of you who train with power, has it benefited you enough to justify the cost? After having used it for a few months, after the newness of having a new toy has worn off, would you still make the purchase?
Also, which meter do you use? Based solely on what I’ve read, I am leaning toward the Ergomo. Mainly because of the weatherproof characteristics and the fact that I’ll be able to use different wheel sets.

So let’s hear it from those of you who are/have been coached or are training with power….or you just have an opinion.

Thanks,
TJ

5 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

A good coach will work within the frameworks of the material he/she is given. That means u :-) You won't be giving up your plan, just working with someone else to make it mo betta. Wish I had a coach now!!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

First, let me admit that I'm training for an IM distance without a coach and without a power meter. It's more of a financial decision (rather than tactical), but I did have a couple thoughts for ya.

As for the plan, you can have more involvement in the development and monitoring of you plan based on the coach you pick and their philosophy. If you go that route, maybe look for one that appreciates flexibility in a schedule and can personalize to fit your needs. If you decide against a coach but are looking for a plan with a high degree of flexibility, email me. I've been using the Matt Fitzgerald plans and there are a number of benefits.

As for a power meter, check out (if you haven't yet!) a recent Simply Stu podcast he put on with a long segment on his PowerTap and its training benefits.

Don't know if any of that was helpful, but good luck!!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

I am also training without a coach nor power meter. I know people who have coaches and swear by them. However, I have always been more self directed in life, and like making my own decisions. So for my first IM, and will continue to be self coached.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

I'm anti-gadget, so I say NO and NO. But I have heard good about power meters, so I might just be full of crap.

9:53 AM  
Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I used a coach for my first season, and now I don't use one. I bought a Computrainer which has a power meter, and I don't use that anymore, either. My IM's (all in the last 24 months) were 12:51; 12:16; and most recently 11:48. So I am seeing improvement without a coach. I spend that money on beer and pizza now instead. OK, not every day, but... ;-)

Really, TJ - it's personal... you can't make a wrong choice. There's definitely something to be said for the mental part of this game, and a coach can surely make you "feel" better prepared. I definitely learned important things from Matt Haugen (my old coach whom I LOVED - he used to be one of the coaches at the Olympic Training Center and is a sub 10 hour IM himself). But I am hearing those exact things from the experience of bloggers, too.

My best quip is to "try it all" in training and see how it makes you feel. Different nutrition, themed workouts, varying recovery theories - they all work for some people, you just need to see what works for you.
So my final vote?
Get a coach. Even if it's only temporary.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home