Saturday, April 07, 2007

Catching Up and A Word From KJ

Not much new to report here on the homefront. Just catching up.
It's been a fairly big week of training for me, about 14 hours.
The highlight of the week was probably the Tuesday afternoon group ride with the local roadie team. Man those guys can go. We averaged over 20mph for the 36-miler...just a typical ride for them...not for me. The ride usually splits into a few groups. I chose to go with the fast group for a change. It was pretty intense riding the whole way. That type of riding isn't really inline with the training I "need" to be doing...but it sure was fun.

I left work early Thursday afternoon and got in a longer ride of 52 miles.
My long run this week was about 12 miles and my long swim was about 1.5 miles. There was a good bit of harder effort in the sessions in between the long workouts and I can feel it. I'm a bit tired.

Which is why I'm sitting here on a Saturday morning, typing this post, working on my second ginormous cup of coffee, not training. That and the fact that the weather has turned cold and windy...my two least favorite riding conditions...is why I'm inside on a Saturday morning doing nothing. I'll climb on the trainer sometime today for a couple hours of easy riding and call it a week.

I'll continue my buildup for Gulf Coast over the next couple of weeks and then start tapering things down. I'm looking forward to the race. I'll be going in much more prepared than last year. The real training starts after Gulf Coast. I will be getting some help with my training for IMFL. I'll save that for another post.

Also, at the urging of Bolder, I've turned off the word verification in the comments section. Actually, I didn’t' know I could turn it off. So feel free to comment in this new hassle free environment.

As some of you might remember, KJ and I did the Simply Stu Worldwide Triathlon a couple weeks ago. We had a great time. KJ has written a race report and asked me to post it here on my blog. Here it is, verbatim:

The coolest way to spend my day

The triathlon was finally here! It all started when I woke up Saturday morning March 24th. I went into my Dad's office and he was on his computer. I plopped down in the chair next to him. Before I knew it, I was in my bathing suit and heading out the door. When we were at the YMCA pool, I was finally ready to start! Me and my Dad started at 4 feet and soon we were off. My Dad was swimming right by me. And whenever I got tired, I just flipped over on my back and floated until I was ready to start again. Soon we were finished with the 4 laps and we got into my Dads car. I was feeling a little discouraged, because I thought I didn't do good on the swim and didn't think I would do better on the bike and run, but then on the ride home Dad said, "How many other eight year olds are doing a triathlon today?" That made me feel a lot better! Then came the transition time!!!! When we were ready to start on our bikes, Mom had to take some pictures of course, but after that, we were off again!!!! In the middle of the ride, we went down a dirt road. Suddenly, a huge crane flew over our heads!!! She was beautiful!!!!!! But after a while, I got really tired, so we turned to go home. When we got home, me and my Dad were calculating how many miles we rode. We only had planned to go 4 miles, but we actually did 6!!!! Then finally came the run. It was my favorite one!!!! So we ran off!!!! We ran, and ran, and ran some more! Soon we were back at home and .......DONE!!!! I was so happy, happy, happy! Then we crashed on the couch for a while, but after that, the best part happened! We went to Chick-fil-a for lunch.

And that was the coolest way to spend my day!!!!
The End

Happy Easter Everyone!
TJ

7 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Yup. That's exactly the reason why I asked my dear wife to allow me to ride this afternoon. Even then, it was still cold! but once I got going, everything warmed up just fine. LOL. I was huffing and puffing along between 15-17 MPH and some chick comes blasting by me on a road bike. She must have been kicking 20 MPH easy.

Hey KJ! That's a terrific race report. Are you sure you are only eight?? For you to be going swim, bike, and run is simply fabulous. Keep up the good work. Your Dad will be a much better tri-athlete if he can look back and see you over his shoulder.

I personally think its easier to allow word verification and turn off moderation. It will keep out 98% of the blogger spam.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

That was one great race report. I hope that I will have the opportunity to read more from the talented and enthusiastic KJ.

8:03 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Great race report KJ!! You did a fantastic job! I can't wait to read another of your race reports. I am so impressed! :)

TJ, great training week. You are going to do awesome on your Tri. Keep it up!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

Kick bootay race AND race report, KJ! Well done!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

GREAT race report, KJ!!!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

I love the race report!

And Chick Fil-A!

KJ's onto something. :)

8:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great race report! KJ, I am so jealous that the run is your favorite part. I definitely dread it. :)

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home