Friday, November 28, 2008

Overload


The way forward in endurance sports, according to the experts, is to overload your training (i.e., do "more" in the current phase/period/cycle than was done in the previous) and then recover adequately. The experts say that, given the chance to recover, the body will super-compensate from the larger training load and will be "stronger/fitter/faster/whatever term you like" than before applying the larger training load.

I've put the overload concept into practice over the last four weeks with my swimming and dramatically increased the training load in my swim program during that time .
I looked back through my training log and found the largest swim week I'd ever done was 8700 yards. I've topped that number each week during the last four weeks.
Here's how each week totaled out:
Week 1: 8,800 yards
Week 2: 14,600 yards
Week 3: 15,400 yards
Week 4: 18,500 yards
This week, week 4, was a bit of a challenge with Thanksgiving mixed in. Both local pools were closed on Thursday, which meant I'd have to either swim on the weekend (which I rarely do) or double up and do two swims in one day…I chose to double up.
Here's how this week played out in the pool:
Mon: 3200 yards continuous, 1:00:37
Tues (A.M.): 3200 yards, masters swim, 1:07:13
Tues (P.M.): 3600 yards continuous, 1:07:05
Wed: 3500 yards continuous, 1:06:10
Fri: 5000 yards continuous, 1:34:11

I did the Tuesday evening swim at the Y. I'm usually in the pool between 5 and 5:30am and there are rarely more than 2 other swimmers there. Most mornings it's just me and the lifeguard. Well, let me tell ya, it's a different world at night at the YMCA pool.
The kids swim team was practicing (about 8 kids), 3 or 4 other adults were swimming, there were a couple of families with kids in the pool, ANNNND, two scuba divers. The divers scared the SHEOT out of me when I first saw them. They were just sitting on the bottom of the deep end blowing bubbles. Needless to say, it was a bit chaotic in there at times, but I made it through. I only ran into one person while swimming...

So, the training load has been applied, now onto the recovery. The big questions is, how much recovery? I'm thinking 3 medium distance (3k or less) swims per week for the next couple of weeks and then add a forth as part of my normal basic week and go from there. We'll see how it goes. I definitely don't want to throw away the work I've done over the last four weeks.
I've never really focused much on swimming as it's such a small part of the overall distance in triathlon. But, if I'm going to hit the goals I have for myself next year, I'm gonna have to focus on EVERYTHING.

Up next, running focus. Not just 4 weeks, 12, starting Monday.

That's all for now…..back to my leftover turkey sandwich.
Happy Training, TJ

5 Comments:

Blogger Judi said...

where can i read about this type of IM training?

i am seriously impressed with your swimming. i take it you don't run or ride during this overload?

tj, i am so nervous i signed up for imky!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

18,000+ in one week, holy crap! Are you a prune?! I was happy with 10,000+. Can't wait to hear about it and how it's workin for ya.

5:20 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

Judi -- Google Gordo Byrn, Chuckie V, and Alan Couzens and put triathlon training in the search line for each. That should get you to their blogs. I value their opionions and base a lot of my training on what I read from them.
I biked a couple times each week during the swim focus and maintained 3 runs...nothing over 7 miles running and nothing over 2 hours on the bike.
Don't be nervous, I finished IMFL in 07 with way less swimming. Just trying to raise my game up a bit this time around.

Missy -- Yep, major prunage going on.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ha..major prunage! Yep DJ said the grapes were turning. Better be careful dude. Thanks again for the LT experience. I could tell you were taking great pleasure from my pain there at the finish.

1:24 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

That is a LOT of yardage! I got up to 10K a couple times this year but found my shoulder to bother me at times. Probably need to do some strength training to help with that. I have a feeling I'm going to be doing fairly high volume training this year.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home