Sunday, November 23, 2008

Deer and snot rockets

Even though the calender may not show it yet, winter has arrived in Georgia!
2 hours on the bike this morning proved yet again that my blood is way too thin for anything much below 70 degrees. Actually, it wasn’t too terribly bad once I got going, but the first 15 minutes or so with temps in the low 30s had me ALMOST wishing I’d opted for the trainer.
One benifit of riding when it's cold is that it brings out deer. I saw deer everywhere this morning. Not even the constant launching of snot rockets seemed to scare them away.

Training this week has gone well. I finished week 3 of my swim focus and hit the pool 5 mornings in a row. I finished up the week with 15,400 yards.
Here’s a breakdown of the sessions:
Mon: Easy recovery. 1600yds. 30:44
Tues: Masters. Warm up, drills, toys, main set, etc. 3000yds. 1:00:19
Wed: Straight Steady. 3250yds. 1:00:39
Thurs: Straight Steady. 3250yds. 1:00:25
Fri: Straight Steady. 4300yds. 1:20:38

Biking is in maintenance mode until the new year:
Tues: Trainer. 30min easy/30min steady. (med resistance) 21.1 miles. 1:00:04
Sun: Easy/Steady with a few harder efforts. 37.62 miles. 2:05:26.

Got in a few runs too:
Mon: Easy/Steady. 6.17 miles. 57:00
Wed: Tempo. 4.13 miles. 31:29
Fri: Build (i.e. increase hr 10bpm every 10min). 5 miles. 40:17

Next week will finish up the swim focus. I can already feel the benefits and I know my swim fitness has increased. I’m hoping to continue to build on what I’ve started and maintain 4 swims per week instead of the typical 2-3 I’ve always done.
I’ll be starting a run focus on December 1st as a part of a buildup towards an early spring half marathon. I want to give this race a real go instead of it just being part of a buildup to something bigger. My half marathon times have been pretty unimpressive in the past and I’d like to have a decent PR. We’ll see…
Speaking of racing, I’ve been doing some race planning for next year.
This is what it’s looking like so far:

January 03: Kiwanis River Run (5k)
January 24: Run Around Town (5k)
January 31: Nun Run (5k)
February 14: Valentine Run (10k)
March 7: Snickers Energy Bar Half Marathon *registered
March 21: Tri at the Y (Sprint)
May 09: Gulf Coast Triathlon (Half IM) *registered
June 14: West Point Lake Triathlon (Olympic)
August 15: Georgia Veterans Triathlon (Sprint)
August 23: Tri States Century
September 13: Nut Roll Century
September 27: Augusta 70.3 *registered
November 07: Ironman Florida *registered


Happy Training,
TJ

5 Comments:

Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Man, I can barely run in 30-degrees, let alone ride. You are hardcore!

Great swim yardage. Are you working with a coach or training your own? I need to nail down my 2009 schedule ...

3:44 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

Shirley -- The masters swim is coached, but I coach myself otherwise. I consult with my old tri coach every now and then just to make sure I'm not too far off track.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I'm afraid of my 2009 schedule but I may see you at GCT!!! Too much fun. Way to get your swim on, I need to take a lesson and do the same...it's the only thing I feel like doing right now anyway!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Yup. Some good opportunities for us to see each other this year!

8:51 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Wow, that's quite a list of races. Can't wait to follow your best year yet. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home