Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Coaching for 2009

I read a lot of endurance training “stuff” on the web. Pro athlete websites, coaching sites, amateur athlete sites, blogs, physiology sites … you get the idea.
One of the guys that I started reading early on was Gordon Byrn. Gordo’s writings made sense to me and were always presented in a way that I could easily understand. I suppose that’s why I’ve continued to read his writings through the years. I’ve learned a lot reading the info on his website and blog and have implemented much of it into my training.

For those who may not be familiar with Gordo, he is the co-author of "Going Long". He is a pro triathlete who started triathlon later in life than most pros. He has finished 2nd or 3rd at IM Canada with a best IM finish of around 8:30 (w/2:46 marathon!). He knows what it takes to do well at IM.

Anyhow, Gordo is also a coach and usually only works with a small group of athletes…at a premium fee. One on one type coaching. Well, he has started a new web-based coaching platform and put out a request for 10 triathletes who’d be competing at the Ironman distance in 2009 to volunteer as “beta testers” for the new website. I threw my name into the hat figuring with only 10 slots I wouldn’t stand much chance of getting in.
Well…..I’m in.

Not only will I be getting to work with a great coach, but it’s FREE…for the whole year! The only thing he asks is that we follow the program through the website and give feedback on what we like/dislike. Our individual training plans will come in 2-3 week blocks and he’ll tailor our training as we go.
My program starts December 29.
Looks like my year of self-coaching will have to wait for another year. Shucks! :)

Happy Training,
TJ

7 Comments:

Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Very cool!! I have to blog to get my workouts from a coach next year but since I'd be blogging anyway, it's no big deal. Great that both of us will have someone else planning our workouts. I don't know about you but my husband was worried that I'd be doing a full iron distance workouts every other week left on my own ;-)

7:54 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Congrats, that rocks! In all my vast experience, ahem, I love to have a coach. I can't wait to hear the details!

8:09 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Wow, that's awesome!! What a sweet deal. I am probably going to get a coach also but I don't really know where to start. Good luck!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Yea, that's good stuff. Gordo is a good man and he'll help you reach your goals! Good luck!!!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Jo Lynn said...

I'm jealous ;)

12:08 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

OMG...that is completely awesome! Congratulations! Suck it up for all its worth.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Judi said...

wow, i am jealous. you totally lucked out!

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home